Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I found out recently that you can set up your old Sega Dreamcast as a hacking tool on a private network. Odds are, your local paranoid admin *grin* will find out about it well before you could do anything interesting with it, but it does make for a cheap, effective tool.

Southwestern University is offering a video game development curriculum as part of their Computer Science track. Too bad tuition for an UNDERGRAD degree is as much as I'm paying for my GRADUATE degree. Guildhall makes you take full time classes 5 days a week and sounds like about same amount of $$$ (more if you're from out of state) Now considering staying in wichita LONGER. Really want a CS degree under my belt. Feeling all kinds of inadequate since I haven't seriously written code (does HTML count?) in years. God knows more skills are welcome, since I still know 'puter nerds that are jobless.....and were jobless when I met them 5 years ago.

Need to start looking at my own security, since I am finally starting to get around my long standing war with Teh COX and may get broadband at home again. I know my laptop is wide open (open wireless at Friends, not even accursed WEP) and since a bunch of the stuff is shared out to my local 802.11g (WPA baby!) at home, I'm asking for trouble....even if I don't keep anything important on them. Organisation and Integrity are KEY in the Information World.

Integrity is key in personal life as well. Now that I've got my head out of my shell, I'm starting to see the patterns in that wonderful thing called group dynamics. I used to be good at reading, following, and to an extent manipulating group dynamics. Used to also be one of the people that could fit in wherever I went (And it was FUN hanging out with the rednecks, lemme tell you)

At one time I advocated hedonism, telling everyone that if it feels good, do it...as long as it doesn't hurt others. Looking back on it, this may have been why I got some of those stares from my friends that had significant others, especially with my talk of cults, polygamous marriages or how I would one day find myself a bad ass chick (or two) that had the "ass of the ages" An ass of such magnificance that I could "set a martini and a clock radio on it" or "roll hotwheels down the cheeks"

Man it was fun to be young(er) . These days, instead of preaching about open communication, I am just trying my best to be successful without screwing other people over. Not that my sentimentality keeps others from trying to screw me... I feel like the sell out exhippy dad from SLC PUNK or the dad on Daria.

I have noticed over the years that most people's hangups are over something either parental, or sexual. Freudian Slips usually abound, and the man WAS pretty smart. Even after nearly 28 years on this earth, I don't understand why people get hungup on sex. Its been around as long as people have. Maybe its cause people confuse lust and integrity. Maybe, because jealousy is an old genetic throwback designed to protect the gene pool. Maybe because all humans are idiots.

Its hard to have good friends and good conversations when you're getting chin checked by the guys who think you're trying to get on their women, and you piss off the girls for reasons that I will never know. I have heard that this is commonplace, cause the m/f ratio in wichita is almost 1:1. As for pissing chix off, I seem to have that knack. I wish I didn't, though. I was browsing this book and found an interesting passage that might explain why I piss chix off so much: I may not act masculine enough, according to our cultural norms.

If I ever decide to stop suffering from nice guy syndrome, or decide to start being a self-centered asshole, I think I may actually end up being happy in life....or at least have as much ass as I could possibly want. My testicular fortitude is being tested daily by some BAD ASS CHIX, and its getting harder and harder for me to deal with it. When I say bad ass chix, I mean the kind that have me slobbering and about ready to wet myself, which are two modes of behavior that said chix most definetly do not appreciate.

Linkies: Order of the Stick and AllGrownUP AGU is discontinued, but both are worth reading, especially if your a gamer.
I'm gonna make it to burning man one day, dammit.
random link 1

Random link 2

Next blog: equilibrium & boondock saints, dammit. peace corps, links to bad ass chix, anime con, ai, video game development

song lyrics

No comments: